Thursday, December 3, 2009

The secret to living longer? Current Event Article#2

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/11/30/live.longer.webcast/index.html?iref=allsearch

Scientists are trying to find a way to increase the life expectancy... by 900 years! Geneticist Aubrey De Grey,Chief Scientific Officer of SENS Foundation, has informed the world that techniques such as stem cell therapy, gene therapy and tissue engineering could one day (in combination) make it possible for humans to live for hundreds of years. SENS is a foundation that researches and promotes regenerative medicine. "The real advantage of applying regenerative medicine to the problem of ageing is that we can actually turn the biological clock backwards," he said. But, it could takes years to find something that is safe to use on humans, so meanwhile, there are simple things that you could add to your everyday life, to add a decade or more to your life expectancy. These things are as simple as eating less meat, and exercising more. And by exercising, I don't mean 30 minutes on a treadmill. Things like walking to the grocery store, and talking the stairs, instead of the elevator. Another threat to life-long health is stress. It is impossible to avoid stress completely, but you could do things to help you deal with it like meditation, praying, and taking a short nap. Best-selling author Dan Buettner has carried out extensive studies to identify places with the highest life expectancy, and found that this includes Costa Rica, Sardinia, in Italy, and Ikaria, in Greece. So, people looking to live longer, pack your bags and move to one of these places.

My opinion of this article is it would be awesome to live longer, but it is also wrong to mess with the natural course of life and death. I mean think about it... if people could live a very long time, they would have many babies, and those babies would live very long, and you would end up with an over crowded Earth. So, first, I think we need to find a planet that sustains life, but very little of it, and invade it, so we have twice the room. Then, this would be a good idea.

2 comments:

Pippin14 said...

900 years is a very long time... I agree, it is a good and bad thing. However, I don't think everyone will be having more babies- having children once is good enough for most people!

Saffire_Goldstone said...

Not for some ppl, I know this one lady with 8 children! I was friends with her son.