Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Pippin's Question Box

How Do Monkeys Keep Their Hair Short?

Well, Pippin, for starters, not all monkeys have short hair. The White Faced Saki (it's a real species) can have hair grow to the length of 30-50 centimeters. The monkey's coarse fur is slicked down, of course, so you can't see the full length by looking at a picture.

And for the monkeys that do have short fur, it's because they shed, and the fur doesn't grow as fast as our hair grows. We ( humans) lose 100 hairs per day! That's why 4 months after you cut your hair in layers, you don't have the same layers just a little longer. As the monkeys shed, new fur grows in its place, and they lose that fur, and so on. At first , I was very intrigued by this question, but now that I know the answer is so simple, it makes me think that not everything has to be complicated.

SOURCES
http://www.animalcorner.co.uk/wildlife/monkeys/nwsaki.html

1 comment:

Pippin14 said...

Remember to post as a comment as well! I'm glad that you're intrigued (that's kinda the whole point of the question box), and thanks for answering!! :D